Bitcoin Security Guide
- KISS, Keep it simple stupid! Don't screw yourself out of your Bitcoin due to complexity.
- Learn the 10 commendments of self custody.
- Get a COLDCARD Hardware Wallet,
this is how you set it up.
- Get a SEEDPLATE Bitcoin Metal Backup.,
this is how you use it.
- Make extra encrypted backups, at least two more and store them in geographicaly separated locations. This is how you setup an encrypted MicroSD backup.
- Passphrases are great security improvement, but it's one more thing to have to backup.Here is how you setup a passphrase. Make sure that if you use one, you have a minimum of a metal backup of this passphrase too..
- Test everything!
- Now choose a software wallet, I recommend:
- FullyNoded (iOS/Mac)
- Specter Desktop (Mac/PC/Linux)
- Electrum (Mac/PC/Linux)
- Blue Wallet (iOS/Mac)
- Bonus, I also recommend keeping a backup of the last known working version of the software wallet you chose. Could come in handy in case the wallet becomes abandon-ware and/or you no longer around to help the stakeholders.
- Test a small amount, both deposit and spend. And make sure to test backup recovery before depositing real money!
- Keep learning, lots of videos here, as you acquire more knowledge you can increase the security and complexity of your setup based on your needs.